How to Get Rid of Mold in Every Corner of Your House

Discovering those dark mold spots in your basement or bathtub could be scary. Fortunately, a tiny quantity usually won’t make you sick, but understanding how to remove and avoid mold can stop it from becoming a major problem.

If the mold is still in a limited region, you should take action before it spreads to a bigger one. It may also cause an allergic response while destroying home items.

Though we do not recommend DIYing your way out of a mold infestation if the mold in your home is relatively small, these household solutions for mold removal can be your key to success. There are many kinds of mold removal DIYs. Let’s talk about them. 

Can you remove mold yourself?

There are many mold removal products available on the market today. Many of them promise a spotlessly clean surface. However, are any of these products delivering what they’re saying on the packaging? It’s doubtful to answer. 

However, should you remove mold yourself? You can, but you should minimize your exposure by wearing protective gear when cleaning since mold spores can spread via the air. Your hands and forearms will be protected if you wear long rubber gloves. While eradicating mold from ceilings or other overhead places, it’s also essential to use eye protection, such as goggles, to avoid bleach or other cleansers from spilling in your eyes.

If there are numerous serious mold problems, this may indicate a larger moisture issue. You should get a professional to remove the area carefully if it is extensive and more than a 2 × 2-foot space.

Are there any natural remedies for mold removal?

One of the following methods will help if you’re seeking a natural way to get rid of mold. However, keep in mind that these could take longer and not necessarily eliminate stains like bleach does:

Hydrogen peroxide: 

Fill a spray bottle with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. After spraying the afflicted area, wait 10 minutes before scrubbing the mold.


Fill a spray bottle with undiluted vinegar and apply it to the moldy area. After an hour, leave it alone, rinse the area with water, and let it dry.

This mold removal spray is the most effective against household mold. 

Mold in the shower and grout 

Due to the warm, moist environment that makes shower tile and grout an ideal breeding ground for mold, it can be challenging to maintain this area mold-free. Smaller mold growths, however, may be eliminated with a grout cleaner (try one of our top picks! ), a mold remover, or a bleach and water mixture.

Spray the grout, let it soak in, and then rinse. Certain situations don’t require scrubbing: In our studies, the Clorox Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover spray eliminated 99.9% of the bacteria and germs associated with mold and mildew in only five minutes.

How to remove mold from walls and ceilings 

The bad news is that replacing an extremely porous surface, like a ceiling tile is preferable. The good news is that if you act quickly, mold may be stopped before it can spread further on sheetrock or plaster walls, ceilings, or other surfaces. This is how:

  • Use a sponge or brush to thoroughly clean the surface with detergent and water before it dries fully.
  • A gallon of warm water should be mixed with 3/4 cup of chlorine bleach as the next step. Apply the water-bleach solution to the spots with a sponge or brush while wearing rubber gloves.
  • Then clean, rinse, and let air dry after five minutes.

Mold removal from fabrics

If left unattended for a long time, those wet towels or sports clothing can create an environment where mold can grow. Here’s how to get rid of the mold if you see it on certain textile items:

  • To stop mold spores from entering your house, take the item outside and brush off any excess mold.
  • If the fabric can be washed in a machine, rub in liquid detergent and wash it on the highest heat setting while using chlorine bleach or another type of bleach as directed in the care instructions.
  • The smell is one of the most common indicators of mold infestation. Even when you can’t see the mold spores in or around your home, you can easily tell you have mold just by the smell they give off.
  • Mold is a very common phenomenon to happen in homes. This is why every other contracting agency offers professional mold odor services. However, can you get rid of mold on your own? And more importantly, how can you eliminate musty mold smells from your home? Keep reading to find out. 

What causes musty smells? 

The musty, stale smell of mold and mildew is similar to that of decaying wood or damp, musty towels left in a pile after a long weekend. A leaking pipe or roof might also bring on the concentration of humidity and moisture that results in this foul odor. Mold and mildew can develop quickly in the damp, quiet air that collects in your home’s hidden cracks and crevices. Our nostrils can smell the fumes the spores release as they grow.

Sadly, mold spores multiply, and it doesn’t take a large colony to produce smells. Clean up any mildew or mold immediately (fungi that seem elevated and often fuzzy on a surface), and keep an eye on the area.

Professional black mold removal may be necessary if the mold area exceeds 10 square feet. You can use these suggestions to eliminate musty odors caused by tiny colonies of mildew on furnishings or walls.


Mold inspection and tests might be needed if your home has a mold infestation. If you’re concerned about this happening in your home, call the professionals today. Zavza Seal LLC has expertise in mold removal and has been doing these jobs for 20+ years. Theirs is a mold removal company that ensures perfection and permanent relief from mold. Call them today to get a free estimate.