Ozempic is a medication that is used for the treatment of type II diabetes. FDA has approved this GLP-1 medication for diabetes. Although Ozempic for
Table of Contents
Ozempic is a medication that is used for the treatment of type II diabetes. FDA has approved this GLP-1 medication for diabetes. Although Ozempic for weight loss has not been approved, sometimes it is prescribed for off-label use.
How can Ozempic weight loss help you?
Ozempic weight loss targets the parts of the brain that helps to regulate your food intake and appetite. Furthermore, it also helps to lower your sugar level. This medication accelerates weight loss by making you feel fuller and less hungry. However, to kickstart your weight loss journey, you need to follow a healthy and active lifestyle along with the medication.
How much weight can Ozempic help to lose?
Now, the answer to the question, of how much weight can Ozempic help you lose depends on the following:
- Your actual body weight
- Your commitment to lifestyle changes
- Your sex
Besides losing your body weight, Ozempic has other additional benefits. Most people who tried using the medication experienced an improvement in their energy and sleeping patterns. The plus point of Ozempic is that it allows you to take charge of your life and your choices as your appetite and cravings are more manageable.
Common side effects
The common side effects that you might experience are Gastrointestinal symptoms, nausea, etc. But over time, as the body begins to adjust to the medication, you will be able to overcome the symptoms. Moreover, health experts will take every possible steps to minimize the side effects like recommending you start with small doses. Also, to overcome the symptoms of nausea, you can try the following tips:
- Try slowing your pace of eating. Avoid stuffing your plate with various snacks.
- Lower your meal frequency
- Keep yourself hydrated with clear water.
- Do not immediately lie down after your meal. Take a brisk walk.
- Switch over to foods that are bland and light
- Stay away from foods with high sugar content, fried and greasy.
If you are planning for a baby then you should discontinue using Ozempic two months before you try to conceive. And while on the medication, if you become pregnant then stop using the medication at once. Get in touch with your healthcare provider immediately.
How to use Ozempic?
Ozempic is an injectable. Sounds scary? You are not alone. There is rarely a handful who is not worried about injections. But fortunately, the needle is ultra-thin and small and so you won’t even realize or feel it. However, before you start using the injection always read the label of the prescription. We have also listed the instruction here.
Choose the site for injection – You can choose the lower stomach or the front of your thighs and clean the area.
Preparation – Make sure that the medicine inside the pen is clear. Always use a new needle. Push the needle and make sure to tighten it. Once it is tight, take the caps off the needle. Remove the needle caps once it is snug.
Dose selection – The next step is to select the dose. You need to rotate the dose selector till you see the dose you require on the dose counter.
How to inject – Insert the needle of the syringe into the injection site. Press down the dose regulator and hold until the dose counter turns 0. Gradually take the needle out from your skin.
Important points to remember while using the injection:
- Each time you take the injection, make sure to change the needle to a new one.
- Change the site for injection every week
- The injection must be taken on the same day every week
- Never inject into the vein or muscle
- The unused pen must be stored in the refrigerator. But even so, do not let it go.
- Make sure to check the flow of the pen
Will my insurance cover Ozempic?
Whether your health insurance will cover the cost of Ozempic will vary depending on the plan that you choose. Some plans may provide partial coverage. Speak to your insurance agency, to know how much coverage they provide before you start with the treatment process. Different insurance companies may have different requirements. Some might require you to get authorization while some might suggest you try other alternative medications.
Tips to get Ozempic without insurance
Considering the cost of Ozempic, purchasing it from your savings means digging a hole in your pocket. However, don’t worry, there are other ways of buying Ozempic and at the same time, you can save money. The following are some of the tips:
- Enroll in the Novo Nordisk diabetes savings card program
- Check if you are eligible for the patient assistance program
- You can also use Copay assistance or Ozempic discount cards
- Pay through health savings accounts or flexible savings accounts
- Purchase directly from the insurance companies